Monday, January 13, 2014

My Turn To Play Fashion Police!

Without any ado... here are my favorite Golden Globes dresses in order!
Julianna Margulies in Andrew GN
10. Julianna Margulies
I love the black and gold combination, and I love how simple yet elegant it is. And now I want to do this design on my fingernails.


Lupita Nyong'o in Ralph Lauren
9. Lupita Nyong'o

That dress has a cape. I really don't need to say more than that. She's a superhero.

Zosia Mamet in Reem Acra

 8. Zosia Mamet

This dress makes me want to write poetry. She is in the arms of vines; she is belted by dark flowers, a living column adorned with shadow maples and daisies of ink... (I didn't say it would be good poetry).


Emma Thompson in Lanvin

7. Emma Thompson

I've been researching Renaissance fashion lately, so this inverted "V" shape really threw me for a loop! I love it, though. This is the sort of thing I'd wear if I were a famous actress. And then Joan Rivers would get down on me for being "matronly" and say I should "dress my age," and I would probably make some snarky Twitter comment about how not all of us are so desperate to look young that we butcher our faces... yeah, it's a good thing I'm not a celebrity. (I also can't help but look at her Louboutins... they don't look like they're for human beings to stand in. No wonder why they were in her hand on stage!)


Elisabeth Moss in J. Mendel
6. Elisabeth Moss

Again, this has the armor-like feel to it... though this one is more artistic. It's like a mosaic. Without the sheer parts, this may have moved up a few spots.

Cate Blanchett in Armani Prive

5. Cate Blanchett

*Chandler Bing voice* Is Cate Blanchett ever not flawless? They cast the perfect actress as Galadriel, let me tell you. Anyway, I adore this dress... I like flouncy, and I like regal, and I like lace... and this is all three of those put together.

Amber Heard in Versace

4. Amber Heard

Oh, this is so basic. So, so basic. But it works. It's a great example of being sexy without showing an overabundance of skin all over. Alluring, I'm going to call it. It's sleek and beautiful.

Mila Kunis in Emilio Pucci

3. Mila Kunis

I wish this was a straight-on shot of her gown, because the details are gorgeous. I also like the transition from bodice to skirt... how the sequins gradually get sparse. They remind me of rain on a windowpane.




Olivia Wilde in Gucci

2. Olivia Wilde

Green is my absolute favorite color, and I love how shimmery and shiny this is. I also love that she didn't try to hide her pregnant belly. She is stunning. Back to the dress-- I would have liked this a little more had it maintained its sleekness, but it looks a little too sequin-encrusted at the top.

Kate Beckinsale in Zuhair Murad
1. Kate Beckinsale

I love a dress that looks like I can wear it as armor. This is a perfect balance: it's elegant, curve-hugging, and glamorous, but it wouldn't look out of place if I donned this with a helmet and a sword... and I'd feel like Lady Sif.

No comments:

Post a Comment