Friday, January 10, 2014

I Promise I Don't Live In My Parents' Basement

No, really! I don't! I'm a functioning adult who works a full-time job, is married to a wonderful man, pays her bills, and lives in her own apartment.

The above disclaimer is necessary because I have just decided to join the Society for Creative Anachronism! Contrary to what you might think about those crazy men and women who dress up in Renaissance garb, cook authentic foods, and go fight in their own medieval tournaments, we're actually pretty normal human beings.

I just discovered that the SCA is active in my area, and I'm pretty excited! For those of you who aren't familiar with what it is, here's the description straight from the website:

The Society for Creative Anachronism is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our “Known World” consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.

I'm most excited about the costumes, the feasts, and the tournaments. Since I started researching my family history back in 2004, I have learned a lot about European history, and am fascinated by some of the things my ancestors lived through, achieved, and fought for. I will never be a Viking shieldmaiden, but I can emulate my "fiery" ancestor Joanna of Flanders by learning to fight. I will never be a real duchess or queen like my royal forebears, but I can honor my lineage by earning a title.

How does this fit into a fashion blog, you might wonder? Well, I'll be making my own costumes! I have to decide where my persona will be from and when she would have lived, and then begin to research. I'm leaning toward the late 1400s/early 1500s in France or England, so I can wear a hennin and enjoy the decadent dresses of the Elizabethan era.

Hennin
Portrait of Catherine Parr, 1545

I'm really excited about all of this! Now, not only do I get to research history, I get to immerse myself in it. And dress like that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment